Last Updated on July 8, 2021 by Jenny
One of the questions I get asked a lot by cat owners is what kind of cat wipes I use on my cats for things like how to clean poop off of cat fur. I have posted about dry shampoo and wipes before – I am really against them. Before using a wipe on your Ragdoll cat, think about this: whatever residue is left on their fur, they can and will lick it off. Can you imagine doing that yourself? Think about licking a baby wipe over and over again – and that’s what a cat has to do when you use one on its fur.
OK, so don’t use cat wipes – but how do you take care of the immediate problem?
Below are many different suggestions from pet owners for how to get poop of a cat’s fur which was discussed on our Facebook page, including some suggestions for how to clean cat fur without water, but please do keep in mind the disclaimer above before putting anything on your kitty’s fur. There are times, I understand, when a wipe is necessary, so that’s why I included them below.
Short Term Solutions:
- Water and rag. Keeping water and a rag handy is probably the simplest way to clean up and avoid using chemicals. You can keep some pieces of paper towel or a rag in a bag with a water bottle if you need to bring something with you on the go.
- Brushing and trimming. You can also brush and trim out dried poop clumps at home. Try putting a little powder on clumps if need be to dry them out before brushing or trimming.
- Shampoo. You can dilute some cat shampoo with water and use that to wipe off your cat, or try a rinse-less spray shampoo like Biogroom.
- Bath. You can also always give them a bath if needed. If you have a calm kitty, you can give them a “butt bath” – just dipping their backside in the sink and wiping away the poop clumps. Or if you give them a full bath, try to catch them at a time when they are a bit sleepy and will be more relaxed.
- Wipes. Some pet owners recommend wipes that are made to be more pet-friendly:
Potential Long Term Solutions:
- Changing food. The poop in fur issue could be a result of your cat passing loose waste, which could be solved by reevaluating their diet (maybe switching to preservative and additive free), or just mixing some canned pumpkin into wet food if it is a short-term cat health issue. Please read catinfo.org for more info on proper feline nutrition.
- Adjust litter level. Try adjusting the litter level in the litter box, as they could just be having some problems with squatting at the right level.
- Hygiene cut. Try taking your cat to a groomer or a vet for a hygiene cut, which means trimming the fur around their bottom. You will need to do this regularly, but it can decrease the potential for poop to get stuck in fur.
Before you buy wipes for your cat, see if other options for how to clean a cat’s bottom, like rinsing it with water or a hygiene cut.
What suggestions do you have for how to clean poop off cat fur?