Ziwi Peak Canned Cat Food
When it comes to cat food, there are so many choices available on the market. It is extremely difficult for cat owners to explore the vast array of choices to find food that is made from high-quality ingredients, that doesn’t have additives that are bad for cats. I keep an active page on Floppycats, listing the foods I feed my cats. However, I am not a cat nutritionist. I am just a cat owner, who is trying her best with her cats. So with that in mind, please be aware that I believe what you feed your cat is a personal decision based on several factors:
- What works for you and your cat
- What works for your budget
- What you feel comfortable feeding your cat, etc.
The Ziwi Story – From New Zealand with LoveHailing from the green free-range farms and blue pristine oceans of New Zealand, Ziwi has made it a priority for their company to source their ingredients from sustainably and humanely-managed local farms. Ziwi is actively involved in preserving their beautiful country for the future. Even the fish they use for their products comes from the oceans of New Zealand and the entire process is strictly managed by their government so that their ocean reserves are preserved for the future. Ziwi is proud to be 100% family-owned by New Zealanders. They have their very own manufacturing facility, where they hand-craft their product in small batches each day. This gives their food the authenticity that mass-produces cat food lacks. It also allows your cat to experience a slightly different aroma on the same product with each canned opened.
The Ingredients in Ziwi Cat FoodCats are carnivores, which means that their diet must consist primarily of meat. It also means that they do not have a digestive system that can properly process grains, rice, or vegetables. These can even have negative effects on their health, such as causing food allergies. In fact, Ziwi has made it their goal to make cat food that is grain-free and that can meet the essential needs of the animal. Here are the main ingredients in Ziwi cat food:
Heart and LungWhen cats catch their prey in the wild, they usually eat the heart and lungs first. Ziwi uses organs in their food and the heart and lungs are essential. The organs are sourced from free-range grass-fed animals that come from humanely managed farms. The excellent conditions in which these animals are raised greatly improves the quality of the meat and the results are visible on your cat.
BonesZiwi cat food is made up of 95% fresh meat organs, but also bone. As you well know, bones are not proper food for your cat as they are because they are dangerous. They can break while your cat is chewing them, and cause injuries and other issues when your cat eats them. However, Ziwi processes the bones for their food and this way, they get to add all the nutrients in the bone without putting your kitty at risk.
Green-Lipped MusselsNative to New Zealand green-lipped mussels are an excellent source of glucosamine and chondroitin. This is extremely important for your cat because it actively helps them rebuild the cartilage in their joints. This helps with joint development and mobility, which is increasingly important for adult cats. Moreover, green-lipped mussels are a natural source of these nutrients, which makes them that more potent.
ParsleyZiwi cat food also includes parsley among the ingredients. A small quantity is used with the purpose of freshening your cat’s breath.
Sea KelpSea kelp is packed with natural vitamins and nutrients, so Ziwi uses it to make their food even more healthy for your cat. The result of combining these high-quality ingredients is a rich and balanced diet that is suited for all cat breeds, and also for all life stages. You can feed Ziwi to your kitten or to your senior cat.
What You Won’t Find in Ziwi Cat FoodJust as important as the actual ingredients is what cat food does not include. Here are some of the things you will never find in Ziwi cat food:
Rendered MeatWaste animal tissue is processed into rendered meat, which is then used to make low-quality meat products. Unfortunately, it is vastly used to manufacture cat food, but Ziwi guarantees that no such things can be found in their products. They go the extra mile to use the best possible fresh meat for their food, which they bring in from local farms that share their values.
Grains, Corn, Potatoes, and RiceMany types of cat food products include fillers like grains, corn, potatoes, and rice. Since these are much cheaper than meat, they are included among the ingredients, but they are not healthy for your cat. In fact, they can even cause health problems in time, such as allergies.
Antibiotics, growth promoters, and hormonesAll the meat used to make Ziwi cat food is entirely free of antibiotics, growth promoters, or hormones. All the farms that Ziwi collaborates with produce high-quality meat.
Additives and taste-enhancing chemicalsBy analyzing the ingredients in Ziwi cat food, you will notice that there are no additives or taste-enhancing chemicals. The delicious taste of the canned food comes from the ingredients only.
Types of Ziwi Canned Food
Ziwi Pets offers the following food for cats:
- Air-dried cat food (looks like jerky cut up in small squares) – comes in 5 flavors
- Wet cat food
Ziwi Pets Wet Cat Food comes in the following flavors:
- Beef Recipe
- Free-Range Chicken Recip
- Hoki Recipe
- Lamb Recipe
- Venison Recipe
- Mackerel & Lamb Recipe
- Mackerel Recipe
- Rabbit & Lamb Recipe
Why I like Ziwi Peak Canned Cat Food for My Cats:
- They LIKE it
- 3% New Zealand Green Mussel is included as a natural source of glucosamine and chondroitin
- No BPA food lining
- Meat without added hormones or growth promotants
- Meat without antibiotics
- No glycerins or gelatins
- No carrageenan
- No grains, corn, wheat, rice or soy
- No rendered meats or meals
- No sugars
- No artificial flavors or colors
The Ziwi Canned Food I Feed My Cats:There are several types of Ziwi canned food you can choose from. Here is the list of Ziwi Peak’s canned cat food that my cats will eat over and over again – you might find that your cat will eat others.
1. ZIWI Peak Wet Mackerel & Lamb Recipe for CatsIngredients: Mackerel, Water Sufficient for Processing, Lamb, Lamb Lung, Chickpeas, Lamb Tripe, Lamb Heart, Lamb Kidney, Lamb Liver, New Zealand Green Mussel, Lamb Bone, DL-Methionine, Dried Kelp, Minerals (Magnesium Sulfate, Zinc Amino Acid Complex, Manganese Amino Acid Complex, Copper Amino Acid Complex), Taurine, Vitamins (Vitamin E Supplement, Thiamine Mononitrate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Folic Acid). This Ziwi canned cat food is made from blue mackerel that is sustainably caught from the oceans of New Zealand and lamb that is sourced from local farms with good principles. It also includes the nutritious green mussels, but also cold-washed tripe. This increases the palatability of the food tremendously and it even supports healthy digestion.
2. ZIWI Peak Wet Rabbit & Lamb Recipe for CatsIngredients: Rabbit Meat, Water Sufficient for Processing, Lamb, Lamb Lung, Lamb Liver, Chickpeas, Lamb Kidney, Hare Meat, Lamb Tripe, Lamb Heart, New Zealand Green Mussel, Lamb Bone, DL-Methionine, Dried Kelp, Minerals (Magnesium Sulfate, Zinc Amino Acid Complex, Manganese Amino Acid Complex, Copper Amino Acid Complex), Taurine, Vitamins (Vitamin E Supplement, Thiamine Mononitrate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Folic Acid). Made from lean wild rabbit from New Zealand and lamb sourced from local farms, this recipe mirrors the natural whole-prey diet that cats have in the wild. It contains minced whole rabbit, including the bones, which are then processed and served to your cat in the form of a highly palatable pate. It also includes 3% green mussel, which is a natural source of glucosamine and chondroitin, which are essential for joint health, as well as cold-washed tripe, which improves the taste of the food.
3. ZIWI Peak Wet Mackerel Recipe for CatsIngredients: Mackerel, Water Sufficient for Processing, Chickpeas, New Zealand Green Mussel, DL-Methionine, Minerals (Dipotassium Phosphate, Magnesium Sulfate, Zinc Amino Acid Complex, Manganese Amino Acid Complex, Copper Amino Acid Complex), Dried Kelp, Vitamins (Choline Chloride, Vitamin E Supplement, Thiamine Mononitrate, Niacin, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Riboflavin, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Folic Acid), Salt, Taurine. This Ziwi canned cat food is made primarily of blue mackerel, which is wild-caught from the remote ocean waters of New Zealand’s North Island. This fish is loaded with essential omega-3, which makes this type of food ideal for cats of all ages, including seniors. It also includes the green mussels (3%), to pump up the omega-3 with glucosamine and chondroitin that rebuilds your cat’s cartilage.
Ziwi canned cat food is good for
- cats that require high levels of omega 3
- cats that need low fat levels
- cats of all ages
- elderly cats that need extra protection for their joints and nervous system
- young cats that need extra nutrients for joint development
The effects of Ziwi cat food
- Healthy skin and coat
- Promotes joint health
- Increases mobility
- Decreases allergies and food sensibilities
- Promotes digestion
- Helps with weight management
- Promotes urinary health
I’d love to give my guy the Mackerel ! Have you ever considered doing food for a giveaway?
I’d love to be able to get the Mackerel for my guy, have you ever considered doing food for a giveaway?
Yes, we have done them in the past. You can also reach out to them and see if they will send you a sample can.
What a great read! Thank you so much for the detailed descriptions of the different flavors and ingredients in all the choices for the Ziwi Peak food company . I am going to order it right away for my baby 11 month old and my other baby 15 yr old Raggies .
Susan Hadley and Sadie and Bella
Hope they like it!