The automatic cat litter box, the Litter-Robot, is designed to help you leave scooping behind and enjoy an odorless and simpler life around your home. Since its first release, Auto-Pets continues to develop new versions of its famous litter box, Litter-Robot, each of them with new features that add to its performance.
Each new Litter-Robot has improved on its previous versions and added features that are more in tune with today’s requirements. It can be confusing to choose the one that best suits your needs.
If you want to get a Litter-Robot, you have two versions to choose from, the Litter-Robot 2 and the Litter-Robot 3, each of them with an additional upgraded version. Of course, the Litter-Robot 2 isn’t really sold as new anymore, but you might be able to pick up a used one on eBay, Facebook Marketplace or Craig’s List – Auto-Pets still sells parts for them. Or if you have found an “Open-Air” on one of those sites and want to upgrade it to a Litter-Robot 3 Connect, you can do so.
[Note: When they released the 3rd version of the Litter-Robot, they called it the “Open Air” – but now they are calling it LR3 or Litter-Robot 3. So in some of our videos, I reference it as an Open-Air, but it is the Litter-Robot 3]
Below you will find an overview of each of these versions, so you can get a better understanding of what each does and how it can improve your life:
1. The Litter-Robot 2 Classic vs. the Litter-Robot 3 Open Air
These two versions have many similarities between them in terms of their fundamental functions, however the Litter-Robot 3 Open Air will have some upgraded features that are not present in the Litter-Robot 2 Classic.
Let’s look first at what common features they share:
When getting the unit, you’ll find the same components in either one of the packages: the fully assembled Litter-Robot 2 Classic or the fully assembled Litter-Robot 3 Open Air, as the case may be, a carbon filter, 3 waste drawer lines, a 15-volt DC power supply, an instruction manual, as well as return and repack instructions.
- They both share the same safety mechanism.
- They both work with clumping litter and 13 Gal kitchen bags.
When it comes to the differences, between the Litter-Robot 2 Classic and the Litter-Robot 3 Open Air, it’s important to remember the following:
- The Litter-Robot 2 Classic has the following dimensions: 29’’ H x 22’’ W x 24’’ D, while the Litter-Robot 3 Open Air is slightly bigger at: 29.5’’ H x 24.25’’ W x 27’’.
- The entryway dimension of the Litter-Robot 2 Classic is at: 9’’ H x 6.5’’ W, while the entryway for the Litter-Robot 3 Open Air measures at: 15.5’’ H x 10.25’’ W.
- There are different settings for the minute countdown in each version of the Litter-Robot. This is the time you can set for your unit to start the cycling process after your cat exited the globe. For Litter-Robot 2 Classic there’s only one setting, at 7 minutes, and for the Litter-Robot 3 Open Air you can choose between three time settings: 3, 5 or 7 minutes.
- The sensor gets activated differently in each version: for the Litter-Robot 2 Classic the sensor is on step, while for the Litter-Robot 3 Open Air the sensor is in the globe.
- For each of the Litter-Robots you can get branded supplies: filter, waste liners, litter, fence, ramp, sealing strips, cabinet. However you can get a little extra for the Litter-Robot 3, as compared to the Litter-Robot 2 Classic: battery kit and Connect kit.
- The Litter-Robot 2 Classic is ideally suited for a maximum of two cats, while the Litter-Robot 3 Open Air is ideal for three cats, although it can also be used by four cats, if need be.
- The Litter-Robot 2 Classic is ideal for small- and medium-sized cats, that are between 5 lbs and 12 lbs of weight. On the other hand, the Litter-Robot 3 Open Air is best suited for cats that can even reach a weight of 20 lbs. Both versions require to be used by cats that weigh at least 5 lbs.
- The frequency with which you can empty the waste drawer also differs between the two models. For the Litter-Robot 2 Classic you can empty it a frequency of 5-7 days if you have one cat and every 3 days if you have two cats. The Litter-Robot 3 Open Air is a bit more permissive, in that you can change it within 5-10 days if you have one cat, within 3-4 days if two cats are using it and three times per week if you have three cats using it.
- The Litter-Robot 3 Open Air has a full drawer indicator, whereas the Litter-Robot 2 Classic does not.
- When getting the Litter-Robot 3 Open Air, you’ll also benefit from the Sleep Mode and Night Light features that are not available with the Litter-Robot 2 Classic.
- There’s another aspect that these two Litter-Robot versions differ in and it regards the entryway, where you pour the litter in. With the Litter-Robot 2 Classic you’ll find the entryway is too narrow to pour litter directly, while with the Litter-Robot 3 Open Air this entryway is bigger and slightly tilted upward, making it easier for you to pour the litter in.
- With a brand new purchase or a refurbished purchase of a Litter-Robot 3, you get their warranty policy: 90-day money back / 18 months.
What are the things you need to remember about the Litter-Robot 2 Classic?
- The Litter-Robot 2 Classic is ideal for you if you want to get the economic version, while still benefiting from the automated scooping system.
- With this version, you will need to be organized to regularly empty the waste drawer, since the unit won’t perform its cycle if the waste drawer is full and you’ve forgotten to empty it.
- Another thing to remember about the Litter-Robot 2 Classic is that the sensor may not get activated if your cat jumps straight into the globe, not using the step first.
- Lastly, it’s recommended to place this unit in the basement or in the garage, especially if you have two cats.
What should you take away about the Litter-Robot 3 Open Air?
- This version is great either if you have one cat or four cats.
- It’s ideal if you easily forget to change the litter or don’t want to deal with it, as well as if you don’t want to check the waste drawer all the time.
- The Litter-Robot 3 Open Air is perfect for an apartment, as long as you have enough space to put in, such as the laundry room, bathroom or living room.
- The night light will also help prevent you from bumping into the unit at night, especially if you’ve placed it somewhere where you can’t see it when the house is dark.
- The Litter-Robot 3 Open Air also has another feature that is ideal if you have mischievous cats or small children – the Control Panel lockout feature.
- If your cat tends to jump everywhere and will do so even when entering the unit, it’s important to remember the Litter-Robot 3 Open Air has a sensor right inside the globe.
2. Looking at the Upgraded Versions for Both the Litter-Robot 2
As mentioned before, both the Litter-Robot 2 Classic and the Litter-Robot 3 have upgraded versions you can also choose from – the Litter-Robot 2 Bubble Unit, or the Litter-Robot 3 Connect, respectively.
Let’s take them one by one and see how they’ve been improved compared to the original versions they were developed from.
The Litter-Robot 2 Classic vs. the Litter-Robot 2 Bubble
These two versions were built having most of the same features in common, but there are a few ones though that set them apart:
- The Classic version is best suited for up to two cats, while the Bubble version is best suited for up to three cats.
- The Litter-Robot 2 Bubble has a little extra room on the back of the globe, providing illumination to the chamber and more space for the cat to maneuver. This makes it ideal to be placed in a well-lighted room, since it can offer more illumination inside the unit.
Apart from this, all other features are the same. Both versions have the same size, they come with the same components inside the package and you can benefit from the same 90-day money-back / 18 months warranty policy.
Both of them have the same patented sifting process, separating the waste from the clean litter, helping you save as much as 50% litter compared to using a regular litter box. The fresh litter bed and carbon filters from both versions help you maintain a cleaner and odorless home.
The Litter-Robot 3 Open Air vs. the Litter-Robot 3 Connect
The Litter-Robot 3 is the latest automatic, self-cleaning litter box for cats developed by the team at Auto-Pets. It’s currently the highest-rated device of its kind and has greatly improved the life of cats owners everywhere.
The 3rd version of the Litter-Robot received a lot of upgrades compared to the 2nd version that it immediately made it a favorite among cat owners everywhere – suitability for more cats to use it, adjustable minute countdown until the unit begins cycling, in-the-globe sensor activation for cats that tend to jump around and other features.
The popularity the Litter-Robot 3 Open Air saw inspired the Litter-Robot team to add yet another feature to it and thus increase both its performance and the freedom it gives you as a cat owner.
This is how the Litter-Robot 3 Connect came to be. This is the Wi-Fi enabled version of the Litter-Robot 3 Open Air, allowing you to monitor your cat’s activity through the Connect App.
Having said this, by using the Litter-Robot 3 Connect you will be able to:
- View the waste drawer level.
- Get notifications regarding the use of the unit.
- See recent usage history for insights into your cat’s health.
The Connect app is currently compatible with Apple mobile devices with iOS 9.0 or greater and Android mobile devices 6.0 or greater. It also requires a 2.4 GHz router signal (5 GHz band not supported).
This app takes not-scooping to an entirely different level. By having access to notifications regarding the waste drawer, the unit’s cycling times or when it is paused, you’ll be able to be away from home for much longer, resting assured that everything is well-taken care of.
You can customize your alerts and you’ll be able to take care of important business or be away on holiday without worrying what gets left behind at home.
Having said this, the Litter-Robot 3 Connect is in most aspects the same as the Litter-Robot 3 Open Air, with all the same great features that made this third version so popular.
- The only feature that sets the Connect version apart from the Open Air one is the availability of WiFi-powered connection, enabling you to be in touch with whatever the unit is operating all throughout the day by means of the Connect app.
- The Litter-Robot 3 Connect enables you to gain insights on your cat’s health, based on usage history, to view the waste drawer level and even to troubleshoot.
- The app is available for a wide range of iOS and Android mobile devices.
3. Why Buy the Litter Robot 3 vs. the Litter-Robot 2
When you draw the line, it’s clear to see how the Litter-Robot 3 is ultimately much more attractive and useful than any version of the Litter-Robot 2. Its added features, regardless if you’re choosing the Open Air version or the Connect one, are meant to make cat owners’ lives easier, whether they have one cat or three cats.
The Litter-Robot 3 is much more autonomous in its functions, both its basic ones and the more refined ones, which means that you get to enjoy greater personal freedom in your life, while also being able to control what’s going on with the unit.
The Litter-Robot 3 is much more spacious, comfortable and inviting for more cats to use it and is built in a smarter way that can integrate the actual behavioral patterns of your cat.
The technology of the Litter-Robot 3 is designed and built in such a way that it pushes your life forward, allowing for more freedom in your personal and professional life, while also giving you the option to more efficiently control what’s happening in your home environment, as well as in your cat’s life.