The chemicals irritate the mucus membranes and breathing passages of your kitty, and they can cause even more serious long-term problems if they contain volatile organic compounds (VOCs), which are carbon-based compounds that remain in the air of your home even after a spray evaporates.
Some of the long-term effects of exposure to VOCs include liver or kidney damage, cancer, and nervous system problems. Short-term effects include vomiting, breathing issues, dizziness, and eye/mouth/nose irritation.
The low-grade symptoms may include coughing, sneezing, tearing up, nasal discharge production. These occur when the cat has minimal contact with the toxic substance. The cat immediately becomes distressed, which is visible in its behavior. If you notice this, you should try smelling your cat.