Last Updated on November 17, 2021 by Jenny
Floppycats’ reader, Erica, emailed me the other day and asked, “I was watching your videos on the sleepy pod air and had some questions (I have been searching searching the internet for an answer but haven’t seemed to have found one). I’m planning on getting a Ragdoll kitten… I will be a 1st time cat owner and have fallen in love with the Ragdoll personality […] I travel at least once every year and I want to be able to take my cat in cabin on the flights but I wonder if the male Ragdoll will be too big to fit in cabin. […] Have you ever traveled or know someone whose traveled in cabin with their heavy male Ragdolls?”
Please note that this article may contain affiliate links. That means that if you buy something, I may earn a small commission. You can read my full disclosure at the bottom of the page. I reached out on Facebook to see what other Floppycats’ readers had to say:
Reader Favorites – Travel Pet Carriers for Cats:
- Sturdibag. Cindy recommended, “I really like Sturdibag. It fits nicely under the airlines seat and has springy supports so the top of the bag doesn’t collapse on the animal. It’s very sturdy too!”
Purchase your Sturidag on Amazon.
2. Sleepypod. Michelle recommended, “I love my Sleepypod! It’s the only carrier that kept my cat relaxed on his many trips to the Vet.”
3. Sherpa on Wheels. Sharon said, “Sherpa gets my vote!! Large for the ragdolls. And on wheels to help my back. One of the few carriers I’ve found that rolls flat and doesn’t tip the cat when you’re rolling it. Handle adjusts to a variety of positions. Soft interior. Sheepskin like. The interior removes for easy cleaning. It’s also guaranteed to be allowed on airlines. (At least it used to be). A bit pricey at $110 or more, but well worth it. You can also get replacement wheels. 99891 is the model # for Sherpa!”
Shirley also said, “I think my very favorite is one I no longer have. It was like a stroller type on wheels. It opened in the front w/a zipper. You could just place the cat in that larger opening. I have a cat now that Hates the regular hard-sided front entrance ones!! I have found now that if I prop it up on end and have it open in my bathroom–I get her in the bathroom w/doors closed and pick her up and drop her in thru the top. Much easier than trying and failing many times to stuff her in when it is laying flat. Good thing I don’t have to take her out a lot : )”
We confirmed and she was talking about the Sherpa on wheels. Purchase your Sherpa on Amazon.
4. Petmate Vari Kennel. Andrea says, “I have had the Vari Kennel for 25 years. I bought it at a local pet store, but Amazon does carry it. We use it for trips to the vet and keep our SureFeeder in it as we have a food bully. It is the perfect size for Ragdolls.”
You can grab a Vari Kennel on Amazon.
5. Petmate Two Door Top Load. Martha recommended the Petmate Two Door Top Load 24-Inch Kennel, which is constructed of steel and plastic. It also has a secure carry handle.
Michelle also said, “We like the carrier Petmate, it’s durable and when loading things into the car for trips we can actually stack things on top of it. We drive periodically to and from our vacation home, 3 1/2 hour drive, and always take many things with us on our trip.
The mesh totes don’t seem as durable. Buy your Petmate Two Door Top Load 24-Inch Kennel on Amazon.
6. Calm Carrier. Maureen said, “This is what we have for one of our two cats. She loves it, and our vet always comments on how much easier it is for cats to have one like this. It was the first one like it our vet saw, and she’s now recommending it to other cat owners.”
Find your Calm Carrier on their website.
7. Morpilot Dog Backpack Carrier. Eve said, “I can’t find the exact one, I bought it years ago, but this one comes with the same collapsible water bowl. It was also $30-40. Mine looks like a lot heavier construction and my kitty is 15lbs. I love the backpack cuz then your arms are free, and with two cats, one who did not like the mesh backpack, you can carry another pet!”
Grab the morpilot Dog Backpack Carrier on Amazon.
8. Catit Catit Cabrio Carrier. Michelle said, “I love these, we have 2 of the solid gray ones that can no longer get in that color. I love that the door is solid to where they can’t stick their paw through and is very roomy! Get so many compliments at the vet and anywhere we go.”
Amazon carries the Catit Catit Cabrio Carrier
9. Pet Magasin. Christine said,”Pet Magasin hardcover collapsible pet carrier. I use it mostly for vet trips or when moving. There is a bigger one than the one in the link that my big girl fits in with plenty of room to spare. I love it because it is front or top loading, easy to clean, and folds up completely flat for storing in tight spaces. The top and bottom are hard, the sides are thick neoprene, and the door is mesh.”
Find the Pet Magasin on Amazon.
10. Lollimeow Pet Carrier Backpack. Eve said, “My sister is a vet tech and someone brought in a kitty in this carrier. I want to get a bubble one like this next for my kittens. Also, I suggest this one as a great one for taking kitties to the vet. If it’s a very nervous kitty or looks very sick and might be a contagious cat disease, a carrier like this allows the kitty to be initially looked at with out having to leave the carrier (if you have a runner/freakout type kitty, this might help the visibility).
11. Pet Smart Cart Carriers on Wheels. Sharon Shulby, a Ragdoll breeder wrote:
“I use “Smart Cart Carriers on wheels” for my cats. I get them from Amazon. I have the large size..1″ long x 12″ wide and 16″ high…the wheels are on a removable board which, when removed, lowers the height by 2″. It has a telescopic handle to pull the cat and the carrier. My husband used to say, “if you can’t carry it or put wheels on it, you can’t bring it into the house.”My King is 24# and I’m not carrying him on my shoulder. It also has a strap to secure it to the seat belt, if you’re in a car. They’re available in small and medium size also. The Smart Cart folds flat, with large, velcro straps to secure it. It has a heavy duty fabric handle to hang it on the wall, near the door, making it easy to grab, in case of emergency evacuationI won’t be without them.”
Find your Smart Cart Carriers on wheels on Amazon.
12. Cayman Pet Carriers. Jill recommended the Marchioro Cayman Pet Carriers. “I use the Cayman 2 for my big guy, Caymus. And a slightly smaller version, Cayman 1, for my Murphy. These are great carriers – very easy to undo at the vet’s office and my vet always tells me how much she likes them. This is a carrier you can get for your kitten and use it through their adulthood. In other words, a carrier that will last 20 years and beyond.”
- Cayman 3 Pet Carrier (This is Caymus’ carrier – he’s 17-18 lbs. Carrier measures 25 x 17 x 17 inches ; 3 pounds)
- Cayman 2 Pet Carrier (This is Murphy’s carrier – he’s 11-12 lbs. Carrier measures 22.2 x 14 x 14.2 inches ; 3 pounds )
13. Sherpa American Kennel Soft Carrier. Claudia recommended, “The Sherpa American Kennel soft carrier. Meant for a small dog but our cats love it. It is attractive but very comfortable with a furry bottom. The top and end zippers make it so easy to move the cats in and out. Also, it is the right size for taking on the airplane if you must travel.”
Purchase your Sherpa American Kennel soft carrier on Amazon
14. Cat in the Bag. Barb said, “The one I like best is cat-in-the-bag. It’s not for an airplane, but works great in our car for our trips with Finn, three hours each way. We have tried two other carriers & he cries in them; wants let out. The cat-in-the-bag carrier is wonderful! Lots of room for legs to stretch out, and his head is not enclosed. The vet also loves this carrier as they can just unzip the bottom to give an examination or vaccine. Velcro is used to hold the cat’s head. The strap is great for carrying the cat or strapping him into the car’s seatbelt. I’ve also given a cat a bath in this….so much easier with it! Simple to store this carrier too!”
Grab a Cat-in-the-Bag Carrier on Amazon. Do you love your travel pet carrier for your cat? What brand, size, etc. is it? I would love to feature it here! Have you taken your kitty on an airplane with it? Is it an approved airline pet carrier?
Easy front loading for your small pet using the mesh zipper area in the front or footboard step or use the back zippered door to load and unload your pet. This travel stroller folds down easily to store in smaller spaces for traveling. For other options for cat strollers, you’ll find a list on this page.
Grab the 3 Wheel Elite Jogger on Amazon
Do you love your travel pet carrier for your cat? What brand, size, etc. is it? I would love to feature it here! Have you taken your kitty on an airplane with it? Is it an approved airline pet carrier?