Post Published on August 6, 2016 | Last Updated on July 9, 2021 by Jenny
Are you having a hard time trying to decide what your new kitten’s name should be? Don’t miss these tips to help when choosing an appropriate name.
Whether you have a new kitten or need to name an older cat that was just adopted, there are many good ragdoll names out there.
Ragdoll Cat Names:
When one thinks of Ragdolls they think of large, lovable, regal and relaxed cats. It is a good idea to look at cat names that invoke those images. While looking through various lists of names some that might jump out are:
- Tristan or
Look for a name that your cat will feel proud to have. Look closely at the personality traits that your cat or kitten has. Find a name that fits that personality. It might take a couple of days to get a good feel of the personality. Don’t rush it.
Often times you need to get a sense of what your cat or kitten’s personality is like before you chose a name. When you are naming a kitten remember that kitten will one day be a noble cat. When thinking about good ragdoll kitten names, try to name she or he something that you and your cat will not be embarrassed about when they are an adult.
Try not to use too many different variants. Stick with one name so that it won’t confuse them, and they will learn their name more quickly.
Tips When Choosing Ragdoll Names:
- Pick a name that is easy to say and that’s fun to call out, like “CHARLIE!”
- Choose a name that will grow with your cat. For example, the cat will not always be a kitten, so naming your cat, “Kitten” or “Baby” isn’t necessarily appropriate.
- Watch your cat’s personality and behavior to get clues as to what name would be appropriate. For example, does s/he like to snuggle? Then perhaps, “Snuggler” would be good.
- Choose a name that your animal can recognize. It has been reported that animals respond best to one or two syllable names.
- Know that you will probably shorten or adjust whichever name you end up choosing
- Ragdoll breed heritage can also be an inspiration; you can look through names of famous Ragdoll cats to get ideas for a kitten’s name. A great place to get started on looking at famous Ragdoll cat names is on the Pawpeds website. Pawpeds is a database for catteries, including championship famous Ragdoll cats.
There are many good sites out there with great pet names. They will often give you the meaning and the origin. They will also break down name suggestions according to gender, sex and other categories to help you find the cute kitten’s name you desire. Whether you are looking for a new name or the origin of the name you have already chosen you might want to check out them out. On most of these websites, you can search by gender, color, meaning, and first letter of the name:
Blue Eye Appropriate Ragdoll Names:
- Azul – Blue in Spanish
- Azzurro – Blue in Italian
- Kyanos – was a name used in Ancient Greek to refer to dark blue tile
- Milori – a shade of blue
- Buying a Ragdoll Cat
- Cat Names
- Declawing a Cat
- Declawing (more information)
- How to Introduce New Cats to Your Household
- How to Train Your Kitten to Use the Litter Box
- Ragdoll Kitten Mink
- Ragdoll Kittens
- Ragdoll Rescue
Alternatively, you can also e-mail us a photo of your kitten and we will post it on our Facebook page like this one – and ask for Ragdoll cat name suggestions from our readers:
Which cat name did you end up giving your kitten?