If you're looking for a way to make your life easier, self-cleaning litter boxes are a great investment. Thankfully, we know a thing or two about litter boxes. In our experience, the Petree litter box is an excellent alternative to more expensive models. The features most people are looking for in a litter box work great in the Petree litter box, and at a lower cost than the Litter-Robot.
The Petree and Litter-Robot are pretty similar. The main distinguishing characteristic is the Litter-Robot app, which is connected to the litter box and can keep the pet owner more aware of the cat's movements.
While it is convenient to have an app, at the end of the day, the main task of the automatic litter box is helping with scooping the litter, and many pet owners won't find an app worth the price difference. The main features are otherwise very comparable to each other.
Both Litter-Robot and Petree litter boxes offer the convenience of disposing of the dirty litter into a bag in a waste drawer underneath the waste bed. Once the cat has used the box, the odors will be contained.
Purchase the Litter-Robot
All products featured on the site are carefully selected by the editor of Floppycats, Jenny Dean. In addition, we may earn a small commission when you purchase something through our affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Are Automatic Litter Boxes Worth It?
The reality is that no one absolutely needs an automatic cleaning litter box. Of course, the old-fashioned method still works fine, but electric versions give makes taking care of your kitty more convenient, less smelly, and less time-consuming. Having an automatic litter box allows you to go several days without checking on your cat's litter box, which makes them an excellent choice for very busy pet owners, or families with multiple cats.
This type of litter box is also suitable for pet owners that tend to be forgetful. If you don't remember to clean the litter box on time, these machines can do the job for you. Pet owners with disabilities can also greatly benefit from a scoopfree litter box system, since they won't have to bend over to scoop the clumps of litter.
It's important to remember that if you don't stay on top of cleaning a litter box, it can create all types of problems for you and your cat. Luckily, you can purchase an automatic litter box that has an inbuilt cleaning cycle system.
No matter why the automatic litter box is appealing to you, having one means that your cat will have fresh, clean litter every time they need to use the toilet. Self-cleaning litter boxes do the dirty work for you by eliminating the need for manual scooping. This will significantly reduce the risk of them getting sick due to a messy litter box.
Whether you have multiple cats or just one, we've researched the market and tested top products to help you find the right option for your feline friend's cleaning cycle.
Which Automatic Litter Box Should I Choose?
If you are looking to purchase a self-cleaning, automatic litter box, you might have heard of the Litter-Robot or the Petree automatic cat litter box. But how do you know which one is the right choice for you? What are the main differences between these two products, and which one is best suited for your needs? Read on to learn about the features and benefits of each self-cleaning automatic litter box.
Choosing between Petree and the Litter-Robot depends on what you need for your cat(s). The Petree automatic cat toilet is an excellent choice if you have a limited budget. It offers all the fundamental features you would expect to see in a self-cleaning litter box. However, the Litter-Robot is a superior product. If you have a large cat, the Litter-Robot is better, because it offers more space inside the globe.
The automatic cat litter box from Petree provides all the essential features of a self-cleaning automatic litter box at a lower price than its competitors. It also comes with a 30-day money-back guarantee and a 12-month warranty.
Please note that this article may contain affiliate links. If you buy something, I may earn a small commission. You can read my full disclosure at the bottom of the page.
Petree vs. Litter-Robot - The Price Difference
Depending on your budget, you can opt for a self-cleaning litter box or an intelligent litter box. The Litter-Robot comes with an app that not only notifies you when the waste drawer needs to be emptied, but also provides you with data on your cat's habits, which can be extremely helpful for supervising your cat's health.
The first significant difference between the two self-cleaning litter boxes is the price. The Litter-Robot 3 Connect starts at $499 ($474 when you use our link), while the Petree litter box costs $379. With a $120 difference between them, the price might be reason enough for some cat owners to opt for the Petree litter box. The Litter-Robot, however, has an enhanced set of features that provide cat owners with more options and facilities for their pets.
The Petree Litter Box - Features
The automatic self cleaning cat litter box from Petree provides all the essential features of a self-cleaning litter box at a lower price than its competitors. Most of the features of the more expensive automatic litter boxes are present in the Petree litter box.
Petree recommends that you complete a more thorough, manual clean with pet-oriented products, like Nature's Miracle or another pet-safe cleaner, at least once a month to maintain high hygiene standards.
The sensor detects the cat entering and exiting the automatic litter box, and cleans the mess on its own, putting the mess into the waste receptacle. That way, the cat is sure to have a clean litter box every time it goes to the bathroom.
This cat box is considerably lower than the more expensive models. It also comes with a set of waste bags appropriately sized for the waste compartments that make for easy disposal.
It comes with a 30-day money-back guarantee and a 12-month warranty. If you have any troubles operating the kitty litter box, a customer service number is responsive and available to answer any queries.
Petree Litter Box Dimensions
- Height: 21"
- Width: 23"
- Depth: 25"
- Entryway Height: 7"
- Waste Drawer: 4L/ 135 oz
- Weight: 16 pounds
- Suitable for cats that are at least 3 months old
- Petsafe for up to 4 cats
- It has a covered 4L waste bin
- For one cat, you need to clean the waste drawer once a week
- For two cats, you need to clean the waste drawer once every 3-to 4 days
- For three cats, you need to clean the waste drawer once every 1-2 days
- Maximum weight charge – 44 lbs
- works with a maximum of 8.8 pounds of litter
- Requires regular clumping litter, but it is also compatible with plant-based litter (please note that when using plant-based litter, the manufacturers recommend cleaning the waste drawer more frequently)
- Not compatible with non-clumping or loose-clumping litter, newspaper-based litter, crystal litter, or absorbent wood pellet litter.
- Efficient in odor control (it has an activated carbon filter odor management system), but it does not remove all odors. Please note that the waste is stored in the waste container under the litter box, but its efficiency in odor control dramatically depends on the number of cats using the litter box.
- Reviews have talked about the wait time for receiving their product as four weeks due to shipping from being made and shipped from China.
- Gravity sensor that prevents cleaning mode from running if the cat is inside. Should the cat jump in the litter box while running, the sensor will detect its presence and immediately stop the machine from running.
- Wide entrance to the litter box
- Wire reinforcement treatment prevents the cats from biting the wire and getting shocked.
The Litter-Robot 3 Connect is the latest model of self-cleaning litter boxes. It comes with a 90-day in-home trial and an 18-month warranty, possibly extending the warranty to 36 months for an additional $49.99.
- Height: 29.5" (74.9cm)
- Width: 24.25" (68.6cm)
- Depth: 27" (68.6cm)
- Entryway: 16"H x 10.25"W
- Inside Globe: 15"-17"H (depending on litter level) x 20"W x 20"D
- Litter Bed: 14" wide at maximum
- Waste Drawer: 16"H x 12.5"W x 5"D
- Weight: 24 pounds
Purchase the Litter-Robot
- Automatic mode is suitable for cats that weigh at least 5 pounds
- For cats that weigh less than 5 pounds, the manufacturers recommend using the self-cleaning litter box in semi-automatic mode – leave the Litter-Robot off. When the kitten uses the litter box, please turn it on, and it will automatically clean the litter.
- Made for cats weighing up to 25 lbs.
- Well-suited for large-sized cats – the space inside the globe is 15" -17" H (depending on litter level) x 20" W x 20" D. The high walls on the hood are nice for Ragdolls and other large breeds.
- Can accommodate up to 4 cats
- For one cat, you need to clean the waste drawer once a week
- For two cats, you need to clean the waste drawer twice a week
- For three cats, you need to clean the waste drawer every other day
- Litter-Robotcycle occurs after each use and takes 7 minutes to complete
- 8-10 pounds of litter in the litter pans at a time
- It has a carbon-filter odor management system, making the Litter-Robot very efficient in minimizing odors. However, it can't eliminate them. The amount of odor control ultimately depends on the number of cats using the litter box and the type of litter used.
- Works with all types of clumping litter, but the manufacturers recommend using high-quality, standard-weight, clay litter. It also works with silica gel litter (as long as the crystals pass through the screen) and plant-based waste. It is not compatible with strictly absorbent, non-clumping, low-clumping litter, newspaper-based litters, crystal litter, and absorbent wood pellet litter.
- The manufacturer recommends cleaning the waste compartment more frequently when utilized with plant-based litter.
- Reduces cat litter usage by 50% because it only eliminates the used litter during the cleaning cycle. Clean waste goes back into the globe for the cat to use again.
- Works with any waste bag, as long as they fit inside the waste drawer. Customers typically use 10-13-gallon kitchen garbage bags or large plastic grocery bags. Litter-Robot also offers eco-smart custom-fit waste drawer liners.
- While there are accessories you can purchase for the Litter-Robot 3 Connect, it does not require any of these to provide the complete set of features. All accessories provide extra features only.
- 8-hour sleep mode that prevents the Litter-Robot from cycling at night to avoid noise
- Automatic night light that is very helpful for elderly cats whenever they need to use the Litter-Robot during the night.
- At their headquarters in Auburn Hills, Michigan, they focus on new product development, marketing, and excellent customer service, and in Juneau, Wisconsin, they have manufacturing and shipping.
Litter Robot App Features
- Comes with an app suitable for Android and iOS, which all family members can use.
- It provides information about the level of waste inside the waste drawer so that you know when it needs changing. Please note that changing the drawer once a week (when one cat is using the litter box) is mandatory, but you will be notified in the app if the drawer needs changing sooner.
- It records every litter box use and provides statistics on the cat's litter box habits. If the cat uses the litter box more or less frequently than usual, you can see it on the app and contact your veterinarian.
- When more cats use the Litter-Robot, the statistics are available for each cat individually. Whenever one cat enters the Litter-Robot, it detects its weight and records its habits.
- Comes with cat sensor technology, which stops the device should the cat enter it during the cleaning cycle.
- Whenever the Litter-Robot stops, for any reason, you get a notification on the app
- No rakes or wires inside the globe
Petree vs. Litter-Robot Reviews
- While both self-cleaning litter boxes have primarily positive reviews (both have a 4.5-star average) and include recent studies, the Petree litter box has only 87 reviews on its product page. On the other hand, Litter-Robot bases its 4.5-star rating on 9077 reviews.
- Moreover, for each reviewer, you can see the number of cats, the number of Litter-Robots, and the type of home they live in. This way, you can filter out the reviews to find those most relevant to you. Litter-Robot also has an Instagram community of 500,000+ satisfied customers. Follow their hashtag, #litterrobot, to see plenty of pictures from real users and their cats.
Cons of self-cleaning litter boxes
Self-cleaning automatic litter boxes are not as straightforward as you might think. They are not bad, but they come with some points to keep into consideration when making your final decision.
A clean automatic litter box can be expensive, loud, and can take a long time to scoop. They are not suitable for every cat size, so you will have to see if the litter box will fit your cat, if you have a Ragdoll or other large breed.
If the cat weighs more than 5 pounds, the mechanism will not detect it. Reviews mention that the bagging mechanism tends to get clogged up, which means a lot more effort in sorting it out. This can defeat the purpose of saving time and work for you, the cat owner.
Besides, neither of these machines have a disposable litter tray. They just have bags that you can attach to the machine and then throw away, which may not be preferred over disposable trays.
How to train your cat to use an automatic litter box?
If you are worried about transitioning your cat from a regular litter box to an automatic one, you will find the following points easy to implement to ensure a smooth transition. The main point is to keep their routine as regular as possible. If you're trying to transition your cat from a traditional box, do as much as possible to keep their training the same. Put the box in the same spot or near it, and make sure you use the same litter.
You can put some of your cat waste from the old litter box into the new one so that they will understand where to go, and know what that unused space in their home is for.
Give your cat the option between the new box and the old one for about a week. Sprinkle catnip in there to entice them inside.
One crucial point is not turning the automatic mode on until the cat gets used to the new automatic litter box. The last thing that you want to do is spook them before they're comfortable using it.
Choosing between Petree and the Litter-Robot is entirely up to you and what you need for your cat(s). These are some of the best automatic litter boxes available, so you can't go wrong either way. The Petree automatic cat toilet is an excellent choice if you have a limited budget. It offers all the fundamental features you would expect to see in a self-cleaning litter box. However, the Litter-Robot is a superior product. If you have a large-size cat, then the Litter-Robot is better, especially for Ragdolls and other large breeds, because it offers more space inside the globe.
The app that comes with the Litter-Robot is a unique tool that makes litter box management much more manageable, and provides valuable insight into your cat's litter box behavior. This gives you accurate data on how often your cat uses the litter box, and can help you notice any medical issues you might not otherwise notice.
The Petree litter box, on the other hand, is an excellent alternative to the more expensive models. It gets the job done at a lower cost, and it doesn't have extraneous features that the Litter-Robot has that owners may or may not even use.
The main difference is the Litter-Robot app, which can be connected to the litter box. The app support makes it more convenient, but at the end of the day, the main task of the automatic litter box is to be self-flushing, and both self-cleaning litter boxes handle the waste with ease.
Both the Litter-Robot and the Petree litter box offer the convenience of disposing of the dirty litter into a bag in a drawer underneath the bed of waste, and the odors are contained once the cat has used the box. All you have to do is refill the litter every couple of days, and dispose of the waste.
Choosing Your Self-Cleaning Litter Box
At the end of the day, it's your call to decide which self-cleaning litter box is the best choice for you and your cat. If you have a larger cat, it's extremely important to consider the size of your cat, as the Litter-Robot is more likely to fit them than the Petree litter box.
The rest of the decision is simply dependent on your personal preferences. If you are very tech-forward, you might enjoy the ease of the Litter-Robot app. If the scooping mechanism matters more to you, the Petree might be a better fit, at a lower price point.
If you have experience with either of these self-cleaning litter boxes, leave a comment below and let us know what you love (or don't love) about it. Pet owners are always the best people to give advice to other pet owners!