That episode had a segment that focused on pet obesity and how you could use an automatic pet feeder like Petmate’s LeBistro to feed your cat or dog several times a day, rather than just once a day. Ironically, my vet had just told me that if I could feed Charlie and Trigg 3 times a day that would be better than the 2 times a day I was doing. In other words, it would be more like humans in the sense that they would do better with several small meals than 2 big ones.
And it made sense – if you think about what they’d be eating in the wild – they’d catch a 30 calorie mouse and then be satisfied for awhile until their next meal.
So for obesity reasons, I really like this product. I also like the LeBistro automatic pet feeder because it’s great if you are gone for work all day.
Here are the some other cool features about the LeBistro:
- It’s programmable
- dispenses portions from 1/4 cup to 2 cups at three selected times per day (you program it)
- Battery-operated unit requires no electricity to function (doesn’t come with batteries though – you will need 3 D size batteries)
- Capacity: Hopper: 4.2 lbs.; base unit fully loaded, bowl & wheel will hold additional 1.3 lbs.
- Dimensions: 14.5″ L x 8.875″ W x 15.125″ H
- Battery Life: Up to 1 year
- Warranty: 1 year, limited
- Includes: Hopper, Hopper Lid, Food chute, Feeding Bowl and Instructions.
Here’s a video I snapped of Bill explaining how it works:
I didn’t feature the cats much in this review because they don’t really care how they get their food, as long as they get it!! I have transitioned Charlie and Trigg completely from dry food and have them on wet food only now. So the LeBistro was helpful to guarantee portion control for the transition.
I then moved it to my mom’s house for Caymus and Murphy who are still on dry food, but who I hope to get off of dry food shortly.
The only negative of the LeBistro for me was that I wished the detachable bowl was made of stainless steel rather than plastic because of the zit problem cats can have on their chins from eating out of a plastic bowl.
You can buy the LeBistro online for $63.01 through Amazon.com where it qualifies for their FREE with Super Saver Shipping. Of course, if you find it somewhere else for cheaper, be sure to comment on this post and let me know so everyone can take advantage of the discount.