Do you feed your kitties canned food? Did you know that there are covers for your pet food cans? I discovered this wasn’t common knowledge when I was at my brother’s house and his wife was sticking the can inside of a Ziplock baggie. Of course, that works too – but that’s a lot of Ziplock baggies.
Pet food can covers are an excellent way to preserve leftover food from cans. These are useful for cans of human and cat food alike and they can be cleaned in a dishwasher or using dishwashing liquid, which makes them a far better option than Ziplock bags. Covering the can does not permit oxygen to go inside the can, which slows down the food degradation process because the aerobic bacteria can’t develop inside. As an added benefit, the lids also preserve the smell and taste of the food in the can because the food does not absorb smells from other items in the fridge and it stays fresher, keeping its original smell for longer.
Cat Food Can Lids
These lids are extremely useful because they are a quick and efficient way of preserving food in opened cans in your fridge. Most of the time, your cat does not eat the entire content of a cat food can, and you are left with a half-eaten can. It’s easy to simply cover it with a can lid and put it in the fridge. This way, it stays fresh for your cat’s next meal. Then, you can clean the lid and reuse it the next time you need it.
Is it bad to keep food in an open can?
Yes, it is because leaving the can open permits air to go inside and come into contact with the food. This jumpstarts the development of bacteria that contribute to the food degradation process, which depend on oxygen to survive – aerobic bacteria.
By covering the can, most of the air is kept out (bear in mind that a can lid does not seal the can and a very small quantity of air does go in) and the degradation process is slowed down. As a simple example, when the can is left open in the fridge, the upper portions become dry and take on a darker color (via the process of oxidation). When the can is covered, there is not enough oxygen available for oxidation, so the color and texture of the food is preserved.
How do you seal a can after opening?
Resealing a can after opening it is only possible with specialized equipment that takes the air out. By using Ziplock bags or can lids, you can keep most of the air out and slow down the degradation process, but not stop it. This is why these preservation methods are only useful for preserving the food for a short amount of time.
3 oz cat food can lids? No problem.
There are a lot of options for pet food can covers on Amazon, here are a few:
- Ethical 3-1/2-Inch Pet Food Can Covers, 3-Pack : This 3-pack of can covers includes three sizes of 1/2 to 3 inch in diameter, which make them suitable for the vast majority of cat food sizes out there. They come in blue, pink, and purple, they are easy to use and easy to clean.
- Molor Pet Food Can Covers, Set of 6 : This 6-pack of pet food can cover enough to meet the needs of any household, including those with more than one cat. These can covers are reusable and they are a good fit for cans of human food as well.
- Bow Wow Pet Food Can Covers, 3-Pack: This pack includes 3 can covers in 3 different colors – light blue, dark blue, and yellow. Each can cover is made to fit 4 sizes of cans of dog and cat food, making them very versatile. They are reusable, easy to clean, and can maintain the freshness of the food for longer.
- DYBEN Pet Food Can Covers : The DYBEN Pet Can Covers for pet food are the best way to keep wet food fresh for longer. Made from non-toxic silicone, the can cover is flexible and easy to use. It fits on top of cans of various sizes and it is easy to clean in the sink or in the dishwasher.
- Whisker City Pet Food Can Cover : Made out of rubber, these can covers are very versatile. Each can cover is suited to cover 3 sizes of cans. Instead of having three different covers, you can use this one for almost all of your cans. It is flexible and easy to use. It is easy to clean, and the material makes it very resistant
- Fancy Feast Lids: Some varieties from Fancy Feast canned food for cats also include a plastic can lid with a lovely cat design on top. They are useful for this brand of cat food and others of the same size.
Small Cat Food Can Lids
I now prefer the silicone ones – that can fit a number of different types of cans.
2.5 inch Cat Food Can Lids
These can lids are made out of premium silicone, which makes them very flexible and easy to place on the cans. Each lid is made to fit small, medium, and large sizes of cat food cans – diameter 2.5″, 2.9″, and 3.3″, and which essentially covers the vast majority of options available on the market. They come in three color options – light blue, dark blue, and pink. If you are looking for a small cat food can lid that doubles as a medium and a large, this is your ideal choice.
Pet food can covers are a very useful accessory for any cat owner. They are an inexpensive way to preserve food and they are also useful for cans of human food. With so many options available, you can choose your favorite. Have you tried cat food can covers? Did they manage to preserve the food? Tell us all about your experience with can lids in the comments section below:
You can also find them at pet stores like Petco and Petsmart.
Hi, I’m Jenny Dean, creator of Floppycats! Ever since my Aunt got the first Ragdoll cat in our family, I have loved the breed. Inspired by my childhood Ragdoll cat, Rags, I created Floppycats to connect, share and inspire other Ragdoll cat lovers around the world,