Last Updated on July 8, 2021 by Jenny
WOW – what a review this has been. We have gone through at least 5 20-lb. bags of the Litterbox.com Cat Litter. I released the unboxing for this litter on Feb 3rd. It’s May 28th – we have almost been reviewing it for 4 months!
We didn’t set out for it to be that way, but that’s how it ended up. Let me explain.
Shortly thereafter, Litter-Robot asked me if I wanted to review their all-natural clumping cat litter. I told them I already had a bag, but if I was going to review it properly, then I needed to have at least 2 bags (one bag for the LR 3s and one bag for the regular litter box). So they sent me an additional bag.
So I used one bag for our automatic litter boxes – the Litter-Robot 3s I had and put the other in our regular litter box upstairs.
My cats immediately took to it and didn’t see it any different than their regular litter. However, I did. It was really fine. Super fine and because it was so fine, it was dusty.
I reached out to Litterbox.com and told them that it seemed really fine and dusty. They were surprised – as they had not had complaints about it and wanted to know more about the bags I had received. And they sent me another. The third one was a bit better, but not much. Every bag, I gave a fair shake – in other words, we used the entire bag – we didn’t throw it out.
Finally, they sent us 2 more from a different production run with their newer designed bags with the easy pour spout. I really appreciated the new e-z tab spout when I was pouring the bag into the LR 3. You will not use the entire bag in two Litter-Robot 3s, so the E-Z Tab allows you to ziploc it shut.
As you can see in our final review video, one 20-lb bag fits perfectly in the extra large Stainless Steal litterboxes that we are reviewing. It fills about 1/3 of it, which is great. It also filled our other litterbox before these perfectly well too. It was nice to just dump an entire bag into a litterbox. I am used to 40-lb bags that I have to carefully pour, so as to not overfill.
We have used Dr. Elsey’s clumping clay litter for a long, long time – and since it’s clay clumping, I knew my cats would be OK with a quick transition (you never want to switch litters in one foul swoop) – so I just emptied and cleaned the boxes and put the Litterbox.com™ Cat Litter in one box and kept our Dr. Elsey’s in the other. With the last two bags we got to review, once both litters were in the boxes, I couldn’t tell you which one was which.
And one 20-lb bag fills up both Litter-Robot 3s and leaves some left as well.
Litterbox.com sources their litter from family-owned-and-operated ranch in Wyoming. There are no additives and no perfumes --> YES! I loathe artificially scented litters (and so do cats).
My mom really dislikes having to haul litter from a store – bring it inside, etc. Because it’s usually 40-lb bags and at 71-years old, that’s a lot. At 41-years old, I don’t really enjoy it either, but consider a decent 15-minute workout.
What’s great about this litter is that is comes in a 20-lb. bag that is in a box with HANDLES! Yes, handles – so when it arrives at your door, there are handle holes to help you bring it to your desired location in your home.
The bag itself has significant finger holes – so you can lift it up – until you need to open it and pour it in. It is EASY to pour into the LR3 because of it’s size and design.
With our regular litter, I have to scoop a cup full and dump it into the Litter-Robot several times to get the desired litter level. So, as a Litter-Robot 3 owner, it is nice to have the Litterbox.com litter as an option with the easy pour spout to boot!
I would gladly use Litterbox.com’s clay clumping litter every day in our house. I seriously couldn’t tell the difference between it and our Dr. Elsey’s that we have used every day for 30 years. My only issue with it is the price – it’s expensive – about $1 more a lb. than our other litter.
Things to Love about the Litterbox.com Litter:
- Unscented!! – I HATE SCENTED LITTER for your cat
- Clumping Clay – My preferred litter is clumping clay – or clumping anything – I am not a fan of litters that do not clump – I don’t find them clean.
- Low Dust – 2 of the 5 bags were very low to no dust and they were the latest bags, so I suspect they more accurately represent what a reader would get.
- Available by subscription – set it and forget it! Choose from 20-lb., 40-lb., and 60-lb. bags delivered weekly, or every 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, or 8 weeks. Cancel anytime.
- Free Shipping to your door in contiguous USA – I love the idea that it is shipped to your door…no lugging it into your cart at the store, then to your car, then into your house, etc.
- Allergies? – I like to read through other reviews of products after I have written my own review. As I read through the reviews on their site, I saw many people said it helped with their cat’s allergies. My Rags was allergic to corn, so corn-based litter, for example, was terrible for him. If your cat has allergies, might be worth a shot to switch up his or her litter.
Things Not So Great:
- Price – It is expensive compared to comparable litters. You can get the cost down by ordering 3 20-lb bags at once – it goes from $20/bag to $15/bag.
- Dust – Yes, I realize I included it as positive above, but we also experienced a few bags as a negative. With a natural litter, this can happen, so that’s why I am mentioning it here. But the last two bags were virtually dust free and this bullet point wouldn’t have happened if I hadn’t gotten the first three bags.
Litterbox.com Litter Unboxing Video:
Hopefully, from our review, you will be able to determine if you want to try it for your household. That’s always my goal – I cannot recommend or suggest a litter for you (would be morally unethical for me since I do not know you, your cat or your house’s situation), but I can try to show our experience to help you determine if it’s the right fit for you.
Litterbox.com Litter Product Review Video:
Do you think you will try the Litterbox.com Litter?
We received the Litterbox.com Litter for review from the manufacturer and also asked that they pay a small review fee. Receiving the free product and the review fee did not influence this honest post.