Post Published on February 14, 2010 | Last Updated on July 15, 2021 by Jenny
Below are the instructions for giving fluids:
- Attach tube to the bag of fluids. Note: this tube should only be used on this bag of fluids; afterwards, it needs to be discarded.
- If applicable, remove old needle, replace with new needle.
- Fill up a bathroom sink full of warm water
- Allow bag of fluids, tube and needle to soak in warm bowl of water for at least 5 minutes (preferably you want the temperature of the bag to be the temperature of your pet—cats body temperatures are usually about 100.5° to 102°F)
- Check to see if there are any air bubbles in the line – clear all air bubbles (by opening the line with the little roller closure) and spray out line into a sink.
- Close the line with the roller closure
- Poke needle in the skin behind the cat’s neck.
- Open the line with the roller closure.
- Squeeze fluid until it falls to the desired level.
- Close the roller closure on the line and put fluids in a cool, dry place until the next round.
For more detailed instructions, including videos, please visit Floppycats.com’s administering fluids site.