With the ever-present excitement of the upcoming holidays, it’s easy to forget that this time of the year can be dangerous for cats. This is because some of the plants used for holiday decorations are poisonous to felines. This is why we need to be particularly careful in selecting flowers and the like.
What follows is a list of plants you should not keep around your house if you own cats:
- Holly (and Rosemary) – These plants can cause extreme gastrointestinal upset, drooling, lip smacking, and continuous head shaking (which can lead to further injury due to the spines of these plants). Allergic to both cats and dogs.
- Lilies – Gorgeous flowers, but if your kitty were to take a couple bites, he may experience acute kidney failure, which can result in death.
- Mistletoe – Can cause gastrointestinal upset if a small amount is consumed and apaxia, seizures, hypotension, and death in higher doses.
- Poinsettias – May lead to vomiting, drooling, and sometimes diarrhea. Poinsettias are actually less toxic to cats than most people assume.
- Not a plant, but preservatives added to Christmas tree water. Some people use chemicals to keep their Christmas trees looking more vivid for longer. If you go this route, make sure you purchase a solution that is not toxic to animals. Otherwise, opt out!
Another one to watch out for is the dangers of snowglobes for cats.
No matter the cause, if your pet has been poisoned, you can call the Animal Poison Control Center at 800-213-6680 24 hours a day or visit the Pet Poison Helpline website for information on how to treat your pet. Happy holidays to you and your furry friends!
Read more about things that poison cats: