Post Published on January 28, 2010 | Last Updated on July 8, 2021 by Jenny
The Star Chaser like the Turbo Scratcher is a plastic circular base that has a ball that rolls around the outer edge with a corrugated cardboard scratching pad in the middle. However, the Star Chaser’s biggest benefit is that the ball is a LED motion activated red light. Because the ball is a red LED light, it tends to attract older kitties faster (much like a laser pointer would). Also, since the light on the ball is motion activated the kitties are inspired to hit it to see the lights.
We consider this one of the best cat toys out there because you get the following:
- Scratching Pad (comes with a dose of catnip to inspire your cat to use the pad)
- Interactive Toy
- Exercise Toy
Because of the design of the product, the cat to play with it by either being on the outside of the product or standing on the cardboard scratching pad. Of course, the smaller the cat, the more inclined they will be to sit on the scratching pad and play. Larger cats will usually only play with it from the outside rim.
Murphy, a 5-year old Ragdoll Cat, plays with the Bergan Star Chaser:As you can see from the video, when the ball is hit, it flies around the track, sparking the cat’s interest to make it move again. The sound and light is also encouraging for further play.
Since the Star Chaser comes with a little bag of catnip, you can use it scarcely and then use the rest of it weeks or months later to re-attract the kitties to the catnip odor of the pad.
The corrugated cardboard scratching center is replaceable – be sure to flip it over and use the other side to get the most out of each pad.
Certainly, most important thing is that it has the potential to keep the cats off your furniture and on the Star Chaser for their scratching needs.
Pros about this product:
- Offers hours of activity
- Stimulates braini activity and encourages exercise
- Helps reduce scratching to furniture and curtains
- Catnip included with Chaser to attract cats to cardboard
- Red LED ball
- Replaceable Scratch Pad
Cons about this product:
- Star Chaser does not stay very still when it is on a slick surface like hardwood or tile floors. You can always put a non-skid sticky surface on the back or move it to a carpeted surface so that is stays stationary.
- Product Dimensions: 16 x 1.9 x 16 inches
- Weight: 1.4 pounds