Post Published on January 30, 2013 | Last Updated on April 8, 2021 by Jenny
Bill and I have been living together for around 5 years (I think). Bill did not grow up with cats – but my Rags was diagnosed with cancer shortly after Bill and I met. So he dealt with a very old kitty who went into remission from lymphoma and then eventually got Chronic Renal Failure (CRF) and who we gave sub Q fluids to every night to two juvenile delinquents (Charlie and Trigg). Needless to say, in those 5 years he has had a lot of exposure to the whole spectrum of a cat’s life. Not to mention, he has helped with countless product reviews and brainstorming for Floppycats. So it is probably safe to say that he has had more exposure to cat products than other boyfriends living with a girlfriend that has cats.
So, I asked him, “Hey, if you were going to adopt a cat and you had no cats, what are 5 essential cat products (not including litter and food) you would buy straight away?”
Here were his answers:
- Litter Lifter – Ok, so maybe he didn’t say “Litter Lifter”, it was more like, “That litter scoop!” – but I know he is referring to the Litter Lifter as it is the only one in our house. And he knows the value of a good litter scoop after dealing with a CRF cat.
- Neko Flies – When we switched Charlie and Trigg from a dry/wet food diet to completely wet, Bill read how to do it and helped execute the entire thing. One of the things he learned in the process was it was important for your kitties to be hungry to make the transition and one of the ways to make them hungry was to tire them out from exercise. While he knew the benefit of Neko Flies from a humor and joy perspective, he had a whole new appreciation for their ability to help kitties exercise.
- Cat Bed – He didn’t mention a specific one. So I asked him if he would go for the AlphaPooch Cuddler Bed or the AlphaPooch Siesta Bowl and he said, “Yeah, probably.” In other words, a soft bed seemed to be ideal.
- The Scratch Lounge – Recently acquired, Bill has seen how much Trigg likes it – lays in it, sits in it, scratches on it…and how Charlie scratches on it. And he said, “You definitely need a scratcher.”
- High Litter Box – He didn’t specify, but I am sure he meant the NVR Miss Litterbox as he has been a big part in that review process- hauling them to the lake for Thanksgiving and then hauling them back, cleaning them, etc.
What are your answers? What are 5 essential things you would recommend to someone getting their first cat. I also realize “a cat carrier” didn’t come to his mind or a brush…