Meet My Rags
8/8/89 – 3/30/09
Meet my Rags. You might recognize his photo from our social media channels – I use that black and white photo of him as our profile photo on our Facebook, Pinterest, Twitter, Google+, Instagram and YouTube. There is good reason for that – Rags is the reason this website exists – he taught me about soulmate connections, life and love. He was my comfort growing up and knew all of my secrets. He came into my life when I was 10 years old, and he passed in 2009 when I was 29 years old. The 19.5 years that I spent with him inspired the creation of this site. I hope you enjoy reading about one of the great loves of my life.
My parents gifted my siblings and me Rags and his half brother, Cosby as kittens in 1989 as a surprise Christmas present (see photo – I am holding Rags). Rags and Cosby were seal mitted Ragdoll cats. Cosby had a white chin and Rags had a dark chin. As far as show standards are concerned, seal mitted Ragdolls are supposed to have white chins. Whenever I showed breeders a photo of my Rags, they always thought he was a seal point, if they couldn’t see his paws. Because of his dark chin he was also often mistaken for a Siamese or a Birman cat. It is because of his “mis-marked” dark chin that I immediately fall in love with a seal mitted Ragdoll with a dark chin.
Rags and his half brother, Cosby, were “replacements” for my very first Ragdoll, Skittles, who died at 2 years of age from FIP (Feline Infectious Peritonitis). Unfortunately, Cosby died at 10 months old of FIP. The vet told us then that Rags had probably been exposed to the disease and would never be affected by it since he hadn’t technically “caught it”. Thank goodness!
Rags and Cosby both came from Ragnarok Cattery in Mira Loma, CA. When we adopted Cosby and Rags, they were unable to tell us which kitten was from which mother, but they did have the same father, Ragnarok’s Thor.
Here are the pedigrees that we received for Cosby and Rags:
So, we ended up losing both Cosby and Skittles from FIP – less than 2 years apart from one another. There are few photos of Rags and Cosby together due to Cosby’s short life. In the photo below, Rags is the background and Cosby in the foreground.
Since I was 10 years old when we got Rags, it probably comes as no surprise that I entertained him and myself by dressing him in Cabbage Patch clothes, putting him in the pool, strolling him around in baby carriages, bringing him with me on the jetskis, etc. I lugged him around everywhere and that’s probably why he was so mellow in public (we went to Petsmart or Petco on occasion when he was feeling well up until about 1 month before he passed) all the time. Well, he did have that fabulous Ragdoll personality that allowed for him to be more docile than other cats in general.
I rarely called him, “Rags”, unless talking about him – if I was addressing him, I would call him various names – including, but not limited to: Naggle, Freegie, Poo, Raggle Raggle.
In 2004, I searched on the Internet to find two Ragdoll kittens for my parents (all in an effort to eventually steal Rags from my parents). I had graduated from college and had just finished two Masters degrees, but had not found a job, so was living at home (and was living at home because my mom would not let me take Rags to live with me elsewhere – so in order to be with him and sleep with him, I remained at my parents’ house). I managed to talk my mom into getting 2 new Ragdoll kittens, Caymus and Murphy. They were adopted from Bluegrass Rags in Kentucky. Surprisingly enough at the age of 15 (and being an only cat nearly his entire life), Rags was very accepting of the kittens –no peeing as a result! (Learn how we introduced Caymus and Murphy to Rags when he was 15-years old: Introducing New Cats into Your Household). For being a single cat and only growing up with dogs, Rags took well to the new kittens – more than I thought he would. Caymus and Murphy’s breeder had recommended that we get 2 kittens so that they would play with each other rather than bug Rags and it was a perfect scenario – and great advice. Worked like a charm.
A year after we got Caymus and Murphy, in December 2005, Rags was diagnosed with lymphoma and was given 4-12 months to live if given chemotherapy. If no chemo, then 4-8 weeks. Against our doc’s advice and against the advice of other family members, my mom and I decided that we would try chemo and see if it would help him. Best decision ever. He outlived his prognosis and went into remission – Rags lived another 3+ years. I have a separate page about his lymphoma journey.
Due to his fantastic internist, Dr. Michael Wasmer, at Mission Med Vet, Rags was treated with two different protocols. Dr. Wasmer consulted often with feline oncologist Dr. Claudia Barton at Texas A&M University as to the proper protocol for Rags’ situation. He also had surgery three times – the surgeon was Dr. Jayce Lineberger – what an incredible heart this man has!
As you can see, Rags responded very well to his chemo protocol and obviously outlived his diagnosis (Rags’ life was finally taken from his kidney failure)…in fact he lived another 3.25 years after the cancer diagnosis. I was thrilled, and he puzzled all the doctors…who would tell me, “I don’t know what to tell you about that cat anymore–he’s incredible”. Of course, he had three surgeries to remove tumors–so there was a lot of help. During the last surgery, right before New Year’s 2007, they found a tumor in his liver which they could not remove, but it was benign.
Here is the picture of that tumor. You can tell where the tumor is because of the white instrument that is pointing to it.
Due to Rags’ Lymphoma and just because he was an old kitty, he had his blood drawn routinely every three months. If you are interested in reviewing Rags’ medical records from when he was going through his chemo protcol you can see them on Rags’ lymphoma page.
I honor Rags every year on the site, sometimes several times a year – but usually always on his birthday – August 8, 1989 and on the anniversary of his death – March 30, 2009.
Thank you for taking the time to read about my Rags – you can see more videos and photos of him below.
See MORE PHOTOS OF RAGS or check out Rags Videos
If you want to see more of Rags on this website, please feel free to visit the following pages:
You may also like:
About the Author (Author Profile)Hi, I’m Jenny Dean, creator of Floppycats! Ever since my Aunt got the first Ragdoll cat in our family, I have loved the breed. Inspired by my childhood Ragdoll cat, Rags, I created Floppycats to connect, share and inspire other Ragdoll cat lovers around the world,
Sites That Link to this Post
- Animal Communicators | February 24, 2010
- Wildside Salmon Wild Alaskan Salmon Oil | March 2, 2010
- Pet Grieving | March 24, 2010
- Caymus Goes To Petco! | March 27, 2010
- Celebrating My Rags | March 30, 2010
- Pet Booster Seat By Solvit Products | April 13, 2010
- Day 62 - Posting Way Late! | April 14, 2010
- Luke's All Natural Pet Food | May 6, 2010
- Litter Lifter - Floppycats.com Product Review | May 18, 2010
- My Ragdolls | May 24, 2010
- Urban Pethaus Slant Stair | May 30, 2010
- Urban Pethaus Wave Perch - Floppycats.com Product Review | June 1, 2010
- A Box For Rags | June 30, 2010
- A Box For Rags – Part Deux | July 22, 2010
- Ragdoll Cats Swimming | August 25, 2010
- Trigg, a Blue Lynx Mitted Ragoll Kitten | August 27, 2010
- Charlie, A Seal Mitted Ragdoll Kitten with an Hourglass Blaze | August 27, 2010
- Hello My Name Is… Rags | September 9, 2010
- Tuna Treats - Floppycats.com Review | September 14, 2010
- About Me, Jenny Dean, Creator of Floppycats.com | September 22, 2010
- Go! Natural FRESHWATER TROUT CANNED FORMULA - Floppycats.com Product Review | November 16, 2010
- The Importance of Animal Communication | December 5, 2010
- Animal Communication With Rags Through Tim Link | December 12, 2010
- Top 5 Products for Older Cats | Aarff.com - Celebrating Senior Pets | December 13, 2010
- Scaredy Cut Pet Grooming Kit and Tiny Trim - Floppycats.com Review | February 1, 2011
- Do You Call Your Cat By His or Her Given Name? | February 3, 2011
- Rags Dental 9-23-08 | February 4, 2011
- Do You Let Your Cat Outside? | February 9, 2011
- Charlie's Whiskers | February 23, 2011
- How Do Your Cats Play? | March 16, 2011
- What Do You Use For Flea Control On Your Cat? | May 19, 2011
- Interview with Susan Thixton of truthaboutpetfood.com | June 29, 2011
- Does Your Cat Change Their Sleeping Spot Seasonally? | July 7, 2011
- LITTER BOX ESSENTIALS FOR LARGE BREED CATS « World's Best Cat Litter Blog | Clearing the Air | July 15, 2011
- Happy Birthday to My Rags (RIP) | August 8, 2011
- Ragdoll Breeders | August 12, 2011
- The Chocolate Ragdoll - Mitted, Colorpoint, Bicolor & Lynx | August 28, 2011
- Seal Ragdolls - Mitted, Colorpoint, Bicolor & Lynx | August 29, 2011
- Reoccuring Cat Dreams | September 8, 2011
- Dental Hygiene in Cats | September 24, 2011
- Does Your Ragdoll Cat Watch TV? | September 28, 2011
- Cat Hair Yarn | October 13, 2011
- Does Your Cat Sleep With You at Night? | November 18, 2011
- Top 10 Things for Your Cat's Stocking | December 8, 2011
- Confession: I like the smell of cat breath | December 9, 2011
- Miracle Care Miracle De-Shedder Cat Grooming Brush Product Review | December 13, 2011
- « Kritter Kondo « Kritters That Twitter | December 19, 2011
- Does Your Cat Drink Water from The Faucet? | December 21, 2011
- Questions for Cat Breeders | January 7, 2012
- All Natural Cat Shampoo and Conditioner CLEAN by Pet Naturals of Vermont Product Review | January 17, 2012
- Pictures of Ragdoll Cats with Their Bellies Shaved | January 19, 2012
- 2011 Top 10 Most Popular Blog Posts on Floppycats | February 2, 2012
- Tucker's Acupuncture Success | February 9, 2012
- Caymus and Murphy | March 4, 2012
- My Rags Has Been Gone 3 Years | March 30, 2012
- Happy Ragdoll Cat Easter! | April 8, 2012
- Skyy -Blue Lynx Mitted Ragdoll Cat. | April 17, 2012
- How to Pill a Cat | April 19, 2012
- Average Lifespan of a Ragdoll Cat | May 18, 2012
- Ragdoll Cat Price | May 29, 2012
- Teddy - Ragdoll of the Week | July 4, 2012
- Natural Flea Control for Cats Made Simple Book Review | July 10, 2012
- Hot Deals | August 6, 2012
- Happy Birthday to My Beautiful Rags! | August 8, 2012
- Anemia in Cats | September 12, 2012
- Cat Enema - Need, Administration and Relief | October 24, 2012
- Ode To Rags | November 14, 2012
- Rags Lymphoma | December 22, 2012
- Ragdoll Cats in Snow: Merry Christmas Eve! | December 24, 2012
- Merry Christmas from Floppycats.com! | December 25, 2012
- Ragdoll Cats and Boobs | December 27, 2012
- 5 Essentail Cat Products (According to Bill) | January 30, 2013
- Floppycats.com's 1st eBook - A Ragdoll Kitten Care Guide: Bringing Your Ragdoll Kitten Home | February 8, 2013
- Cat Peeing Everywhere - The Redecorating Efforts of Caymus and Murphy Dean | March 7, 2013
- A Box for Rags - Finished! | March 20, 2013
- Ragdoll Cats and Children | March 21, 2013
- Skittles - My First Ragdoll Cat | March 28, 2013
- My Rags - It's Been 4 Years | March 30, 2013