The Ragdoll cat is probably most famous for their calm disposition compared to most cats. However, Ragdolls have a more dependent personality than other cats do.
Ragdolls prefer to be near people as much as possible and enjoyed being doted on. Likewise, they adore being handled. Other kitties, depending on the line & how well they are socialized as kittens, may enjoy being handled as well, but not to the extent of a Ragdoll, which literally goes limp when picked up – hence, its name and its nickname, the floppy cat.
Usually, Ragdolls will welcome visitors at the door to a large extent like a dog.
Unlike other cat breeds, Ragdolls do not have an undercoat, which is typically the cause for excessive shedding in cats. As a result, the Ragdoll cat will still shed, but nothing compared to other fluffy cat breeds.
The other advantage of the lack of undercoat is that a lot of people that are usually allergic to cats can have a Ragdoll. Most people are either allergic to cat saliva or to their undercoat. Of course, the people allergic to cat saliva will also be allergic to a Ragdoll, however, those allergic to undercoats will not be allergic to a Ragdoll. Unfortunately, there is not an easy way to know which allergy that you have. It would need to be tested by a dermatologist.
Furthermore, Ragdoll coats don’t typically mat like other long haired cats tend to do. Therefore, Ragdolls don’t require the regular grooming nearly as frequently as other longer haired cats.
Ragdolls, on average, are larger than most cats. The average female Ragdoll is between 14 or 15 lbs, and male Ragdolls average closer to 20 lbs, however, some males can be as big as 30 lbs. A Ragdoll does not reach full maturity and size until it is 3-4 years old.
Since Ragdolls have an extremely mellow disposition, they do not possess the fighting instincts of other cat breeds and therefore should be kept inside.
Usually, most Ragdoll lines are free of most major health risks. Ragdolls are normally a good breed for lower health risks.
Ragdolls are also a great breed for children. They don’t mind being hauled around and being dressed up.
The Ragdoll is an all around ideal cat.
Ragdoll Cats Pics on Floppycats.com
- Adult Ragdoll Cat Photos
- Pictures of Rags, a Seal Mitted Ragdoll
- Pictures of Rags, a Seal Mitted Ragdoll
- Ragdoll Kitten Photos
About the Author (Author Profile)Hi, I’m Jenny Dean, creator of Floppycats! Ever since my Aunt got the first Ragdoll cat in our family, I have loved the breed. Inspired by my childhood Ragdoll cat, Rags, I created Floppycats to connect, share and inspire other Ragdoll cat lovers around the world,
Sites That Link to this Post
- Interview With Deb Bormann Of Rescue Paws Etsy Shop | May 28, 2010
- Gary and Minou - Ragdolls Of The Week | May 31, 2010
- KONG Kickeroo Catnip Cat Toy - Floppycats.com Product Review | June 8, 2010
- Sunny - Ragdoll Of The Week | June 21, 2010
- Takoda - Ragdoll Of The Week | June 28, 2010
- Basil - Ragdoll of the Week | July 5, 2010
- Harvey - Ragdoll of the Week | July 12, 2010
- Valentino - Ragdoll of the Week | July 19, 2010
- Frankie and Johnny - Ragdolls of the Week | July 26, 2010
- Ragdoll Cats And Summer Heat Question For Dr. Jenn | August 21, 2010
- Cwtchycats Destiny Laya | August 23, 2010
- Diamond – Ragdoll of the Week | August 30, 2010
- King - Ragdoll of the Week | September 20, 2010
- Sonora - Ragdoll of the Week | September 27, 2010
- Ree Young Copenhagen Cat Scratcher - Floppycats.com Review | September 28, 2010
- Interview With Andra Schroeder Of Little Apple Ragdolls | September 30, 2010
- Django - Ragdoll of the Week | October 11, 2010
- Walter Allen - Ragdoll of the Week | November 8, 2010
- Interview With Linda Of AllAboutCats Etsy Shop | November 12, 2010
- Dante - Ragdoll of the Week | December 13, 2010
- Mellow - Ragdoll of the Week | December 13, 2010
- Kidd - Ragdoll of the Week | December 27, 2010
- Undercover Mouse - Interactive Cat Toy | January 20, 2011
- Interview with Lori Koop of LoRiKooP Etsy Shop | January 21, 2011
- Rainy - Ragdoll of the Week | February 28, 2011
- Sergio - Ragdoll of the Week | April 4, 2011
- Clio - Ragdoll of the Week | April 11, 2011
- Max and Claude - Ragdolls of the Week | June 6, 2011
- Jasmine - Ragdoll of the Week | June 13, 2011
- Tyco - Ragdoll of the Week | June 27, 2011
- LITTER BOX ESSENTIALS FOR LARGE BREED CATS « World's Best Cat Litter Blog | Clearing the Air | July 15, 2011
- Skittles - Ragdoll of the Week | August 1, 2011
- Sookie - Ragdoll of the Week | August 15, 2011
- Lily Lu - Ragdoll of the Week | November 28, 2011
- Oliver - Ragdoll of the Week | January 9, 2012
- Briggs - Ragdoll of the Week | April 16, 2012
- Baby - Ragdoll of the Week | April 30, 2012
- Murray and Sam - Ragdolls of the Week | May 21, 2012
- Happy July 4th from Floppycats! | July 4, 2012
- Alex - Ragdoll Kitten of the Month | July 18, 2012
- Lord Bentley, Lady Bella, and Lady Beatrix - Ragdolls of the Week | July 30, 2012
- Oliver - Ragdoll of the Week | August 6, 2012
- How to Mass Monetize Your YouTube Channel : @ProBlogger | September 18, 2012
- Chief - Ragdoll Kitten of the Month | November 14, 2012
- Mr Bojangles - Ragdoll of the Week | November 19, 2012