How Automated Litter Boxes Can Be a Godsend for Cat Owners with Handicaps
I pride myself on having an open mind. However, as many of you may recall, I didn’t really have much of one with automated litter boxes. I thought they were rather absurd – and thought people were lazy that didn’t want to scoop their litterboxes.
So, when Litter Robot approached me to review their automated cat litter box, I was reluctant. However, I ultimately agreed because I was curious and also many readers had asked me about recommendations for automatic litterboxes.
While I was waiting for the Litter-Robot to arrive for our product review (as mentioned in our review video I have posted again below), I serendipitously had an Uber ride with a firefighter, who asked me what I did for a living. I told him that I had a website about cats and reviewed cat products. His first question was whether or not I had reviewed an automated litter box. I told him that I was ironically waiting to receive one, but wondered why he asked. He said that he had a cat and that he can be gone on a shift for 48 hours – and he hated that he couldn’t scoop her litter box while he was gone. It was then that I realized how close-minded and judgmental I had been towards automated litter boxes.
Since posting our review, however, I have come to realize that it can help more than just cat owners who are gone for 48 hour shifts.
Here is a quick list of reasons how automated litter boxes have helped other cat owners:
- Cat owners in wheel chairs because of paralysis
Blind or visually impaired cat owners
- Cat owners who have had back, hip, knee, etc. surgeries that restrict movements like bending
- Cat owners who are pregnant and fear toxoplasmosis
- Cat owners who have asthma
- Cat owners who have allergies
- Cat owners who have arthritis
- Cat owners with increased sensitivity to smell (generally caused by medical treatments, trauma, etc)
So, I owe a big apology to automatic litter boxes – as at the time, I did not realize how helpful they can truly be to so many different cat owners and the cats that love them.
Do you have a Litter Robot or another automated litter box? What do you like it for?
How to buy the Litter-Robot III Open Air Automatic Litter Box
- Buy the Litter Robot Open Air on their website and save $25 off your purchase through this link. Free Shipping within the contiguous 48 United States. Additional shipping costs to AK, HI, and PR.
- Buy the Litter Robot Open Air on Amazon.
Litter-Robot III Open Air Automatic Litter Box Product Review Video:
See more of our cat product reviews.