Litter Box Setup for Multiple Cats – Floppycats Version
Pictured immediately below are the items we have in our litter box setup in our home. I want to collect litter box ideas for multiple cats, in case it might help another cat owner.
There seems to be a varying amount of how many litterboxes you should have for a multi-cat household. Some people say 1 per cat. Some people say one per floor per cat. And others says 1 per cat plus 1. I think it really depends on how big your home is, the cats’ needs and more.
I have 5 NVR Miss litterboxes for my two Ragdoll cats.
We also will have our Litter Robot litterbox again soon. So technically, I will have 6 litterboxes for two cats. My parents have always had problems with their cats peeing on furniture or beds. I never wanted to have that problem, so I have probably over done it. However, so far so good – knock wood. Their litterboxes are in the master bath and in the basement, as pictured below.
- NVR Miss Litterbox – We reviewed this high-walled litterbox a few years ago. It is great for cats that pee standing up a bit and also for reducing the amount of litter scatter. My cats squat to pee, so we don’t really need the high sides other than the litter scatter situation. You can read our review of the NVR Miss here. You can buy it through NVR Miss’ website or online at The Cat Connection.
- Moonshuttle Cat Litter Mats – A reader brought these to my attention. I think she posted on Facebook asking if I had tried them. I hadn’t and really had no experience with litter mats – as i just always had used a thick towel in front of their boxes. Another reader helped me find contact information on the Amazon listing and I reached out to the company to see if they would send us some to review. I love them. Still use them and the cats don’t mind them. Many readers are super pleased with them as well. You can buy them on Amazon.
- Litter-Lifter – By far, hands down my favorite litter scoop. I have loved this thing ever since my mom brought it home many years ago. You can buy it on Amazon or The Cat Connection. See our review video below or you can read our review of it here.
- Precious Cat Ultra Cat Litter – There is some controversy when it comes to using clumping clay litter. However, it is what works best for us – and many readers tend to agree. It is probably best purchased on Amazon where it is cheaper than in a store and also ships free after you spend $49 or more.
- A trash can – I always have a small trash can next to my boxes – I use a plastic grocery bag to line it and then put the Litter-Lifter in there. I scoop the boxes a few times a day and put the waste in the bin.
So that’s our situation – what do you do for your litter box situation? Do you have multiple cats litter box solutions? Have you changed it over the years? Why or why not?