Interview With Tammy Porter Of Paws ‘n Tails Etsy Shop
Etsy Shop: Paws ‘n Tails
1. How did you get interested in cats? How old were you when you had your first kitty?
I remember getting my first cat when I was around 8 years old. I saw a batch of kittens at my school fair and fell in love with them. I rode my bike home, begged my parents to get one, they said yes so I rode back with a box on the back of my bike and arrived home with ‘Cuddles’ a black domestic short hair. I think he was a bit of a grumpy cat with other people but not with me and I loved him so much. He showed his love to me by bringing me birds, rats, etc (he brought me a live rat in the middle of the night and presented it to me on my bed!!!)
2. How did you discover Etsy? Did you consider other ways to sell your products?
I first sold my collars on ebay and found etsy while browsing around a website called WAHM (Work at Home Moms) and I liked the setup so much I set up a shop and listed a few collars right away.
3. Do you sell your products in a local store in your area?
I have sold my products at a local Christmas craft fair and do have my collars in a local artisans gallery/shop.
4. Have you been successful at selling your products on Etsy? Have you always been successful, or did you end up getting a lot more traffic after being featured on a specific blog?
I have had moderate success selling on Etsy. I find the marketing part difficult so haven’t been as successful as others but I’m happy with the level of success I’ve had. The traffic seems to ebb and flow and blog features so help from time to time.
5. Do your customers ever give you new ideas for products?
Yes, I have offered new products from time to time after having the initial request from a customer.
6. Have you thought of featuring a Ragdoll cat is some way? (Had to ask.)
I’m sure a Ragdoll cat modelling one of my collars would be very fine indeed! I haven’t had one sent in to me up till now though.
7. Are you a one wo/man show?
Yup, just me and my sewing machine and my cat sleeping on the bed behind me.
8. Do you have a blog?
Not at present. I did have a blog awhile back but couldn’t really think of what to say in it…maybe it’s still floating around out there somewhere – I forget.
9. Do you do custom ordering? Can someone return it if they don’t care for it
Yes, I do custom orders for colors and sizing. My policy on custom orders is that they are not returnable. My regular items are returnable, although I’ve never had anyone return anything.
10. Can you share a story with us behind any of your products that you especially enjoyed working on? Maybe because of the story behind the kitty?
I’d have to say I find the harnesses the most satisfying to work on. After seeing the selection in the stores, lack of color choices and thick, stiff join pieces that can dig into kitty’s back, I love the way my harnesses have turned out. I designed them and tweaked them to be strong but to also be soft at the same time. They bend with the cat’s movements and there are no sharp parts to dig into their shoulders. My customers have also been very pleased with having a harness and leash in such pretty colors and designs, since they are seen out walking by other people and receive compliments on their kitty’s duds.
Category: Recommended Products