Sleepypod is a company that has fascinated me ever since I found out about it. I love companies like Sleepypod because their products are not only HIP but they are also functional and practical.
If you are regular reader of the site, then you know that we have done product reviews on three of Sleepypod’s products, including:
So, I wanted to learn more about Sleepypod as a company. I decided to ask Greg Mote, one of Sleepypod’s co-owners and product designers, a few questions.
Thanks, Greg for the interview.
1. How old were you when you got your first pet? Was it a cat or a dog or something else?
My family always had pets. When I was young we had a dog, a bird and a tortoise. When I moved to my own place after school I had a roommate who had a dog a ferret and a chameleon. My next roommate had a cat and when a friend of my mom found a stray kitty in her yard I adopted Dee-Dee. After that I adopted 2 more cats over the next few years and have leveled off for now as 3 cats is plenty for my small apartment.
2. What got you into the pet product business? Did you always think you would be in this business?
Michael and myself had been working together on other products for several years and when Melony had the idea to make a better travel carrier for their new cat, Mike and I helped out.
3. What did you do before you started Sleepypod?
I was and am an industrial designer. I have many clients who I have worked with for many years which keeps me busy balancing the pet business and my own.
4. How did you come up with the Sleepypod name? Did it take you awhile to figure out what the name should be?
The name was finished long before the product was ready to sell. I think Michael and Melony had come up with it before they even showed me the idea.
5. The Sleepypod was your first pet product, right? How was it first recieved in the market?
The Sleepypod was our first entry into the pet market. At our first trade show (Backer Christmas 2006) we had a booth full of Sleepypod (Jet Black). Many people didn’t know what to think of it as it was so different than all the other beds and carriers. But it didn’t take long to explain the benefits and we soon had hundreds of stores and world wide distribution.
6. What inspires you in your product designs? How do you come up with them?
We listen to our customers to find new areas to explore and we follow our slogan “baby your pet” when designing new products.
7. What have been your most effective ways of marketing your pet products?
Trade shows are very effective in getting our products in stores and in the stores is the best way for customers to get a hands on feel for the quality and design of our products.
8. Do you have a favorite Sleepypod product? Why?
2 out of my 3 cats prefer the Crater Dot and the other prefers the original Sleepypod. I like the Sleepypod Air best myself; all the comforts of home in a compact package; but I don’t fit so my opinion just an opinion.
9. What Sleepypod product you most proud of?
I am against pride of any kind. I always do the best work I can and listen to the feedback from the result.
10. What is top selling Sleepypod product?
The original Sleepypod is still the king, but the Sleepypod Air is right on it’s tail and has actually beat it a few months.
11. What is your vision for the future of Sleepypod? What do you hope to accomplish?
We want to make the best carriers and beds for pets of all sizes and shapes.
Category: Recommended Products