***MARLEY HAS BEEN ADOPTED***
Meet Marley. Marley is a 3-year old German Shepherd. Marley is the reason why there is no product review today. Marley is my brother’s family’s dog and we are looking for a home for him.
Marley needs a structured environment. My brother’s family needs to rehome him because Marley has “nipped” people while protecting his family. They are not able to keep them in their home as a result.
He has been professionally trained (please see YouTube video), and I have spoken with the trainer at length and he believes that Marley can thrive in a structured environment. The trainer says he gets along with other dogs and cats.
The trainer suggested that he be in a home with no children or children over the age of 16. Marley has been with my 2-year old nephew and has never harmed him – it’s just the lack of controlled structure that friends of kids could bring that worries the trainer.
I also spoke with Holly Jacobs, an animal communicator, last week with Marley. She said:
- he wants a big yard to patrol
- he likes going places with his person
- he wants a place where he can flat out run
- he is very serious for his young age
- he’s very smart, likes to study things and read people
- a search a rescue job is very important for him
- marley is a working dog and needs to work
We took Marley out to Gladstone, MO for professional dog trainer, Eric Gilbert, to evaluate him for search and rescue, here’s what Eric had to say about Mr. Marley,
“I met Marley tonight at the facility I train at on Mondays. He was aloof and kept going behind his handler. Even with his favorite toy he would not tug or fetch. Marley was overwhelmed with being outside, I never brought him into the dog facility. Nice dog, but I think he does not have the confidence to work as a scent dog. Even after about 20 minutes he would take a liver treat if it dropped on the ground, but not from my hand. Marley never attempted any play and was still uncomfortable at the end. Looking away, staying behind his owner, lip licking, panting etc. He’s a good dog, but more of a pet not a working dog. I know the trainer they sent him to, and he agreed the dog should not be put down. It sounds like the dog was resource guarding the two year old in the house. The relatives have not had any issues with him and I will try to help them find a home for him.”
Marley Fun Facts:
- From his breeder, “The hips of his great grandfather on his mother’s size were OFA clear – he was a Schutzhund dog – that is the only dog in his recent background who has been x-rayed for hip dysplasia- we have never had any hip problems with any of our dogs over the past 15 years.”
- Marley can get along with other dogs and cats, if introduced to them properly – please see a photo of Marley with my mom’s Napa below
- Breeders of Marley are Lynda and Brad Stock – Jasper, MO
- He is microchipped
- He does not try to jump fences or dig to escape a yard
- He is crate trained
- Marley is fed 2x day in the kitchen
- He eats Royal Canin German Shepherd version
- Marley loves to swim – see below
I am not very connected in the dog world, so that’s why I am reaching out for help. It is really important to me that he finds the right home.
You can tell from the YouTube video that he is a true sweetheart, but needs to be with someone that really knows how to be in charge of dogs.
PLEASE FORWARD THIS TO WHOEVER YOU THINK MIGHT BE INTERESTED.
P.S. Floppycats will (unfortunately) be on the back burner until a home is found for Mr. Marley
Category: Ragdoll Rescue